Getting a start on track

Making Tracks

The pandemic has me located in a temporary location, and it will be at least a little time before I have a place to work in earnest. This, however, has not stopped real progress. I've begun to fabricate track components using Fast Tracks fixtures. I can't say enough good things about how the Fast Tracks approach yields reliable track work. Before I went too far I built several turnouts to work out how I wanted to handle the hinging the points, and how I wanted to make the throwbar connection. This way I can standardize my work, and ensure consistent reliable operations--a top priority.



I may make one or two additiona modifications, but am over all pleased with how the turnouts are coming out. I also made a first draft of a double slip switch. There is one located at Bahnhof Bever, and many others located throughout the network--so utterly necessary. 



There are several things I plan to change about the double slip, most notably, I did a few things I won't do ever again. These include:
  • Using too many PC board ties. This seems like it would make things stronger, but with such fine clearances on the points it creates some oportunities for shorts that caused me to remove more foil from the ties. 
  • I attached parts to the template with hot glue placed along the side of the rail. While it was solid, it was too much of a mess during cleanup. Next time I'll stick with T-pins.
  • Lastly, I hinged my points for each side at the same cross tie--this seemed logical when I drew the template and works, but is just too congested in my estimation. Staggering them would give better clearances.
That's why it's a rough draft. I intend to detail these with 3D printed parts, similar to a method I saw "Weichen Walter" use where details are glued on either side of the rail. I had been thinking about this for some time, and was happy to discover that it was not an original idea! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bahnhof Bever

Fahrplan!